Our kids usually get to have all the fun and I know when I hear the word “GOOP” I’m thinking its just one more thing for the kids to make yet another mess for me (or my wife) to inevitably have to clean up off of EVERY surface in our house.
(How do they do that anyway?… How do kids manage to get stuff into every nook and cranny and on EVERY possible surface while they are playing? I’m talking the kind of everywhere like when you go to the beach and you come home with sand in places you didn’t even know sand could get, everywhere… yeah… kids are like that with anything they can make a mess with!)
Well this… this GOOP… It’s not for them!
This, my friends, is a game changer, this will change the way you bake… this will change the way you see the world! (Yea it’s that good…)
Life before GOOP meant I had to either grease and flour my pans, or take the time to parchment line them each and every time I wanted to bake. And man I bake a lot of cakes! GOOP really and truly changed my life. And I’m willing to bet, you already have the ingredients in your cupboard!
What is GOOP?
It’s a homemade cake release. There are national brand cake releases that you can buy, but like I said, chances are that you have the 3 ingredients you need IN your cupboard.
Yup … 3 ingredients will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
What are they?
- Flour (regular, all purpose)
- Oil (vegetable or canola)
- Shortening (white fat, Crisco… any all-vegetable shortening)
Here’s how to make it:
- Take equal parts by volumes (1:1:1) ratio
I typically use 1 cup of each, as you can store it away.
- Put all 3 ingredients into an airtight container, I use my immersion blender, but you can also use an electric hand mixer (or do it all in your stand mixer, but to me that’s dirtying more dishes than I need to… UGH dishes!)
- Blend the mixture until well combined – I always refer to it as a wall paper paste consistency
- Once blended store in your cupboard at room temperature in a sealed container
That’s it… really… I promise you. 3 Ingredients, 3 steps… Life changed!
How to use it:
Simply take a pastry brush and lightly paint the mixture onto your cake pans.
*If you notice there is separation in your mixture after it has been sitting for awhile (the oil will sometime separate out like a natural nut butter does) just re-blend until incorporated.
GOOP basically has an indefinite shelf life just due to the ingredients.
You can put this sh… I mean… Stuff on everything… I use it when I bake squares, brownies, cakes… You name it! If the recipe says to grease the pan, I GOOP IT!
So no more mess with flour, or cocoa as you grease your pans, no more wasting your time cutting parchment circles. SERIOUSLY GOOP IT!… and thank me later 😉